Username: Password:

Author Topic: "You got a tag for that?" : in-play items, tags, cards and you!  (Read 6143 times)

Casey Hardy

• Meddling Kid
  • Administrator
  • Really needs to go outside
  • Maker of weapons, harbinger of calamities.
    • Bonesteel Armory
Hi everybody!  Friendly logistics staff here for another important Logistics Policy Announcement.

Today we want make a series of posts clear up the process of getting and managing "stuff" in play and making sure you "have" it in case Plot or a marshal asks. In-play item logistics is one of the most important parts of the game - these rules will help make sure your character has all the things you think he/she should have, and that you know when you can use those things and how to keep track of them.

And by "clear up" I mean "confuse everyone" because this is a lot of info to absorb...just let it sink in for a while and use this as a reference for questions.  :)

Really short version (see below for details):

• All items with in-play value, or anything you intend to RP with as if your character "has" it, need a tag or card. There are lots of things these might be. See below posts.
  • Any item with magical properties (Items, Creatures, etc.), and some with upkeep requirements, expire yearly unless otherwise altered formally or specifically stated on its reference card. Expired items or items whose upkeep are not paid lose their properties. Pay attention to your expiration dates.
  • If anything in play changes with a tagged item, turn in updated cards with your check-out envelope
  • If you lose a tagged item in play, turn in the existing cards to Plot
  • If you get a new tagged item, turn in appropriate cards with your check-out envelope

« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 10:54:09 AM by Casey Hardy »
I promise to tell the truth, selected portions of the truth, and nothing but the truth that won't get me in trouble, so help me Chaos.

Ordering Info for Weapons/Costumes

Casey is wrong!  THE WRONGEST!  ALL THE TIME!

Casey Hardy

• Meddling Kid
  • Administrator
    • Bonesteel Armory
Magic Items
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 10:43:30 AM »
Magic items

Everybody should know how these work. A magic item is "registered" to a player or group in the item logistics database.

A magic item has three parts that you will deal with:

Item Reference Card

• This is your "master card" for the item. As of 2014 it will be LAMINATED and printed on SPECIAL PAPER so you don't mix it up. DON'T LOSE IT. You keep your Item Reference Card between events unless you lose, change, or give away the item in play.
  • This card needs to be with the item physrep at all times.
  • If you lose your Item Reference Card but not your physrep, notify Logistics ASAP. We will shame you and give you a new one if you physically present the labeled physrep at Logistics.
  • If you find an Item Reference Card but not the physrep - somebody probably lost their card. Take it to Plot.
  • If you lose your item IN PLAY (stolen, formally Destroyed, etc.), turn your Item Reference Card in to Plot or Logistics ASAP.
  • If you give this item to someone else, give them the Item Reference Card, the physrep, and the Item Event Card.
  • If you receive a NEW item that wasn't yours before, turn in the ITEM REFERENCE CARD you received, in your check-out envelope so it can be registered to you.

Item Event Card

• You get this card in your check-in envelope every event the item is registered to you.
  • It has checkboxes and descriptions for any per-event properties (Spellstrikes, Per-Event Spells, etc.). Mark single use properties off as they are used
  • If you misplace your Item Event Card at an event, the per-event properties for that item are immediately exhausted/unusable until the next event unless you find the card again. You may still show the Item Reference Card to a marshal for persistent effects (Cloaks, Protection Auras, etc.) There will be no exceptions to this; we cannot print or write you a new per-event card onsite if you lose the one provided to you.
  • Carry this card with you onsite with your item, along with the physrep and Item Reference Card.
  • You may throw this card away at the end of the event.

Physrep marked with magic item number

• This is the "item" itself.
  • An item physrep must ALWAYS be clearly marked or tagged with the item number matching its Item Reference Card.
  • The item physrep must match the description on the card. If you must remake or replace an item physrep, it must match the previous physrep as closely as possible.
  • If you LOSE your item physrep offsite not at an event, contact Logistics immediately.
  • If you INTENTIONALLY DESTROY your item physrep OOP, you LOSE the item permanently. No exceptions.

Altering a magic item in play (formal, etc.)

• If an item's in-play properties are altered in any way, the Plot member or supervising Marshal must write these changes legibly on the Item Event Card ASAP and sign it.
  • If the changes were from a formal ritual, the Formal Marshal must also mark the appropriate changes in the formal logs.
  • If an item's properties change in play in any way at an event, turn in your marked Item Event Card AND your Item Reference Card with your check-out envelope. If you fail to do this, the item cannot properly be updated. (Don't think this is a way to get around something detrimental happening to your item. We will find out, and when we do, your item will likely be pulled. No shenanigans.)

Identifying new items

• If you receive a new item in play, it must be formally Identified before you know its properties, unless otherwise notified by Plot. This is an in-play ritual.
  • Once an item is formally Identified, the caster may go to Plot to receive the Item Reference Card and Item Event Card for the item.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 10:53:09 AM by Casey Hardy »
I promise to tell the truth, selected portions of the truth, and nothing but the truth that won't get me in trouble, so help me Chaos.

Casey Hardy

• Meddling Kid
  • Administrator
    • Bonesteel Armory
Labs
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 10:44:14 AM »
Labs

Physreps for Labs are optional in 2014.

A Lab has one card that you will deal with:

Lab Reference Card

• This is your "master card" for the item and also counts as the Lab itself. (Physreps are purely optional for in-play decoration.) As of 2014 this card will be LAMINATED and printed on SPECIAL PAPER so you don't mix it up.
  • DON'T LOSE IT. You keep your Lab Reference Card between events unless you lose, change, or give away the item in play.
  • If you lose your Lab Reference Card OOP, notify Logistics ASAP.
  • If you find, steal, or otherwise obtain a Lab Reference Card - you have that Lab in play.
  • If you give this Lab to someone else, give them the Lab Reference Card.
  • If you receive a NEW Lab that wasn't yours before, turn in the LAB REFERENCE CARD you received, in your check-out envelope so it can be registered to you.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 10:49:52 AM by Casey Hardy »

Casey Hardy

• Meddling Kid
  • Administrator
    • Bonesteel Armory
Formal-Quality Vessels
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 10:45:00 AM »
Formal-Quality Vessels may have a Vessel Reference Card (printed) or handwritten blue tag.

• You keep these cards/tags. DO NOT LOSE THEM. If you lose the tag or card, you lose the vessel.
  • If you would like to exchange a blue tag for a printed card, turn it in with your check-out envelope and a note.
  • You MUST PHYSREP a formal-quality vessel in order to have Formal cast upon it.

Casting formal on a Formal-Quality Vessel

• When a Formal-Quality Vessel is Enchanted, the Formal Marshal will record the vessel description, and write the new properties on the card/tag and sign it.
  • You must turn in this tag in your check-out envelope to receive an item number and a proper set of new cards for the item at the next event.
  • Failure to turn in the tag will result in your item being pulled.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 10:51:12 AM by Casey Hardy »

Casey Hardy

• Meddling Kid
  • Administrator
    • Bonesteel Armory
Creatures
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 10:45:54 AM »
Creatures

Any creature, helper, or other non-player being that you have or control MUST be documented on a logistics record.

Creatures work just like Magic Items, with the following notes:

Creature Reference Card

This is the only card you will receive for a Creature. As of 2014 it will be LAMINATED and printed on SPECIAL PAPER so you don't mix it up. DON'T LOSE IT. You keep your Creature Reference Card between events unless you lose, change, or transfer the Creature in play.

• All Creatures used as cabin guardians MUST have their Creature Reference cards included in the cabin notes for that cabin.
  • All Creatures used as cabin guardians MUST be physrepped and have tabards, claws or other equipment (packets, etc.) as appropriate to their abilities. This can be as simple as a hanging tabard and set of claws, or as complicated as a custom-painted creature banner - but you must ALWAYS have claws and a tabard.
  • Any creatures not fully physrepped within your cabin (claws and tabard at a minimum) are not available as cabin guardians, regardless of whether they are otherwise marked on your cabin notes.

Transferring a Creature

This is an in-play ritual. The new Controller for a Creature must turn in the appropriate reference cards with his or her check-out envelope to complete the transfer in the logistics records. Failure to turn in these cards will result in loss of the Creature.

Casey Hardy

• Meddling Kid
  • Administrator
    • Bonesteel Armory
Special items without in-play monetary value (blue tags from Plot)
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 10:46:16 AM »
Special items without in-play value from Plot (blue tags)
This includes: nonmagical objects you intend to RP with as if it exists

Use common sense - you don't need a tag for every random piece of bling your character carries around, but if you want to give it to other players and represent it as something important you found through Plot interaction, get a tag for it.

• If you are on a mod, or find something through roleplay that your want your character to have (a crowbar, a 100-foot length of rope, a crate, etc.) you must ask the responsible Plot member for a temp card SIGNED AND DATED BY that PLOT MEMBER.
  • If you do not obtain a signed temp card that event, or by the next event if from an online roleplay, you do not have the item.
  • The next event you attend, you must FULLY PHYSREP said item. If you have a tag for 100 feet of rope, you need it with you. Go to the plot member who signed that tag for you and you will receive and official blue tag for that item. Any time you want to use the item, you must have both the blue tag AND the physrep.
  • If you want your character to "have " something significant in play, regardless of whether it has in-play monetary value, you must have a tag. There will be no exceptions to this process.

Casey Hardy

• Meddling Kid
  • Administrator
    • Bonesteel Armory
Special Transportation
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 10:47:17 AM »
Special Transportation

Special means of transportation can be an important part of your character's backstory, something you obtained through RP, or even a magic item.  The following rules apply to ALL "special transportation" including boats, horses, magic carpets, seven-league boots, giant flying snakes, and what-have you.

Any means of special transportation must be approved by HOP and game management. You MUST have a tag for any form of special transportation your character owns.

Special transportation methods work just like Magic Items, with the following notes:

Transport Reference Card

This is the only card you will receive for a form of special transport. As of 2014 it will be LAMINATED and printed on SPECIAL PAPER so you don't mix it up. DON'T LOSE IT. You keep your Transport Reference Card between events unless you lose, change, or transfer the item in play.

• In some cases, special transportation may have yearly upkeep costs that must be paid in order to retain the transportation (docking fees, feeding and stabling a horse, or similar). This will be documented on the reference card.
  • Special transportation is for offsite between-event use only, except at the discretion of HOP or a marshal during a mod.
  • You MAY SOMETIMES be allowed to use your special transportation at an event during a mod or other activity. This is ENTIRELY at the discretion of the marshal, and you must present your tag (and physrep if appropriate) for the special transportation as requested.
  • Use of transportation is at the discretion of the Marshal ONLY. Period. If you are told "no", that is the ruling. Argument or an attempt to pressure the marshal will likely result in your transportation being permanently removed from you in play.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:19:51 PM by Casey Hardy »

Casey Hardy

• Meddling Kid
  • Administrator
    • Bonesteel Armory
Special Cabin Protections or Properties
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 10:48:52 AM »
Special Cabin Protections or Properties

If your Cabin has a special protection or property, that must be approved by HOP and game management, documented on a logistics reference card, and included in your cabin notes each event.

This includes, but is not limited to:
  • Permanent Wards
  • Permanent Circles
  • Permanent Proscribes
  • Permanent Formal Areas
  • Permanent Portals to another Plane
  • Basements
  • Permanent Forges

The specific details of your special cabin property must be thoroughly documented on a reference card. If you don't have a card included with your cabin notes, that property does not exist.

Misc. Reference Card

This is the only card you will receive for a miscellaneous property of your cabin. As of 2014 it will be LAMINATED and printed on SPECIAL PAPER so you don't mix it up. DON'T LOSE IT. You keep your Misc. Reference Card between events unless you lose, change, or transfer the special property in play.